Today in an attempt to get Bella eating different vegetables I made the following, a variation on Annabel Karmel’s hidden vegetable pasta sauce:
- 2 cloves of Garlic – crushed
- 1 Onion – finely chopped
- 2 small carrots – grated
- About the same amount of grated sweet potato as carrots
- 125g Mascarpone
- 1 tin (400g) chopped tomatoes
- Pinch of Italian seasoning herbs
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Splash of Worcester sauce
- Chopped chicken
- Broccoli florets
- 1 Red pepper
- 5 Mushrooms
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
1. Heat oil in pan then add the garlic and saute for 2 mins
2. Add the chopped onion and saute for 2 mins then add the carrots and sweet potato and cook for another 2 mins before adding the tomatoes and herbs, salt and black pepper, and Worcester sauce.
3. In another pan, cook the chicken until cooked through
4. Use a hand blender to blend the sauce so that there is no trace of vegetables for child to pick out.
5. Once sauce is nicely blended, add the other vegetables and chicken and simmer until cooked.
You can separate off some sauce after blending if you want to add different vegetables for adults and child, for example we didn’t put mushrooms and pepper into Bella’s version.
Serve hot with boiled pasta shapes and garlic bread.